Happy New Year! If you’re reading this, you’ve survived one of the stranger years in our lifetime. While we don’t know what to expect this year, let’s hope for a little plateau in the craziness, so we can nurse our 2016 hangover. That being said, in our neck of the woods, we had a pretty great year for bike and pedestrian advocacy.
- Renaming of the Traffic Commission to Traffic, Bike, and Pedestrian Commission
- Bike lanes will be added to the North Webster reconstruction
- Safe Routes To School was awarded to Green Bay Public Schools
- The local Critical Mass rides have grown considerably (170+)
- Green Bay received an Honorable Mention by the League Of American Cyclists as a bicycle friendly community
- GBBC has become an affiliate of the Wisconsin Bicycle Federation.
- The Fox River Trail will now be maintained in winter!
AND there are several other items in the planning stages that will help make 2017 better for our community.
So what’s next for the GBBC? Well, we will soon have a non-profit status and will be able to start fundraising for our Earn A Bike program. Earn A Bike will allow youths to obtain a bicycle after learning bike safety and maintenance. We couldn’t be more excited about this program, as it will both educate and encourage our community to share the road with others and be aware of their surroundings (Share & Be Aware).
We also have a new website in the making, so that will be up and running soon. We plan to have links that will allow you to become a member or renew your membership online!
Of course there will be rides, rides, rides! We definitely want to get a Fish Fry Ride in (or two), a few Market To Music rides, the ever popular Coffee Ride and Chocolate Rides, and as always, we will post any other local rides to keep you moving. As a matter of fact, here’s a new one for those of you who laugh at Old Man Winter. We’ve teamed up with Green Bay, Allouez, Brown County, and the Bike Fed for a winter social, Friday, January 13th, on the Fox River Trail.
Event details can be found here…https://www.facebook.com/events/900336176777713/
Registration can be found here…http://greenbaywi.gov/parks/frenzy
For a full list of upcoming events, check out our events calendar…https://www.gbbicycle.org/calendar/
So stay tuned, we are energized and ready for this year. Let us know how biking is part of your life and come along for a ride. Cheers and Ride On!